The 2015 NANTUCKET PADDLE BATTLE is all about promoting fitness-forward water recreation and wellness. Whether you are a seasoned kayaker, a recreational paddler, a weekend warrior or a prone race rocket we have a way for you to get out there on the water and celebrate the end of yet another epic summer. You do not need to be a pro paddler to join this race, and we strongly encourage families to attend.
- Men’s surf SUP**
- Men’s 12’6″ and up
- Women’s surf SUP**
- Women’s 12’6″ and up
- Outrigger Canoes, and kayaks
- FAMILY FUN TANDEM PADDLE (is your board big enough to hold your kid? put them on the front and race against other families — just for fun)
**Don’t have your own board? Paddle Nantucket has a number of Glide Lotus boards we are happy to lend out should you want to enter either surf sup race. YOU MUST RESERVE ONE OF THESE BOARDS as there are only 13 available. email Caitlin@paddlenantucket.com
A water start, and beach finish 3-mile (2 loop) Recreation Paddle OR 6-mile (4 loop) Elite paddle starting from Jettie’s beach near North Beach Street and heading west, in a similar fashion to the swim course of the Nantucket Triathlon. 3 left side buoy turns per loop with one right side buoy turn before the straight away to the beach finish.
PRE-RACE REGISTRATION @ THE HANDLEBAR CAFE FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 11TH 4-6PM
Join us at the Handlebar Cafe on Friday September 11th from 4-6 for a little pre-race gathering. Pick up your t-shirt, and numbers and sign your waivers AHEAD OF TIME.
Online at PaddleGuru.com
$45 for recreational and elite paddlers, $15 for family fun paddle.
Net profits to benefit the local Water Defense Initiatives designed by Sarah Oktay, Director of the UMass Field Station. Ms. Oktay’s clean water initiatives include local high school and college students and teaches them to measure groundwater, harbor, and pond water quality here on Nantucket.
*RACE SCHEDULE and COURSE are both subject to change with the wind/weather conditions. Please check our FaceBook page the night before the event to confirm.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 7:00-8:15am: Board drop-off, Registration, T-shirt pick up and waiver sign if you are one of those last-minute types.
- 8:30am: Mandatory pre-race Safety Meeting,
- 9am: Race Start: 6-mile Elite SUPs
- 9:15am: Race Start: 3-mile Recreational SUPs and prone
- 11:00am: Race Start: 3-mile Outriggers, Kayaks
- 11:30am 1.5-mile Family Fun paddle (1.5 mile TANDEM race, aka put your kid on your board and race each other)
- 12:30pm: Awards